Friends Without Borders: Japan


Today we start our series of interviews called Friends Without Borders! The first friend to be interviewed is Sakura Tamayama. Let's find out what Sakura has to tell us about her life in Japan!

____  ____  ____

My name is Sakura Tamayama, and I’m from Japan. I’m a university student in Japan, and I’m 3rd year now. My field of study is English education.

My city is surrounded by a lot of nature and people who live there are very kind and polite. Foreign students may think that Japanese people look at them like they are stranger. Because Japan is not a diversity country (not multiculturalism), especially my city, so we don’t often see foreign people.

I love three things in Japan which are Japanese foods, punctuality and politeness.  
I don’t like three things which are quietness and too much concerns. In Japan, being or acting different from the normal behaviour isn't culturally acceptable. Everyone is expected to act, dress, or behave in a certain way.

Lifestyle in Japan is too busy generally. People are always rushed by time. To illustrate, you can clearly see many people walk very quickly at the Tokyo station.

If you visit Japan, you’d better know some Japanese because Japanese people don’t speak English fluently.  You should understand communication style in Japan such as greeting and body language because it is different compare to other countries.

International Experience


1. Which countries have you visited?
Canada.

2. How long did you stayed there?
Victoria, Canada: 1 year

3. How your experience was: tell 3 advantages and 3 disadvantages of living in these countries.

Advantages: I could improve English skill. I could make many friends who are from different countries. Furthermore, my experiences there really taught me about independence, responsibility, and bravery.

Disadvantages: I sometimes miss my family and friends in Japan. I was shocked that many homeless people live on a street and some of them ask for money. In addition, I was surprised that some people smoke marijuana on streets.

4. How were people there? Did you find easy to make new friends?
People who live in Canada were very friendly and easygoing. It was easy to make many friends not only Canadian friends but also people from other countries.


5. What were the main challenges that you faced there?
I think that language is one of a tool to communicate with people, so speaking English fluently was really important for me at that time. 

6. What are some differences between one specific country (you can choose one) and your country?
I think communication style such as body language, directness and eye contact between Canada and Japan are very different.

7. Are you planning to go back there? Why?
Definitely yes! My experience in Canada was absolutely great and I felt like Victoria is my second home, so I hope I can go back there.




No comments:

Post a Comment