Living in Japan (Part 2) - by Sakura Tamayama

   Hi everyone! I’m Sakura Tamayama. I’m from Morioka, Japan. Let me introduce myself before I write this article. I am a university student, 4th grade, and I study English education in my university. I went to Victoria, Canada as an exchange student for one year to improve my English skills.

   
   Today, I will write about my daily life as a university student in Japan. For example, how to spend my leisure time, college life etc. I also compare the differences in college life between Canada and Japan based on my experiences in Canada. I hope you get some ideas about Japanese culture and find some interesting things about Japanese culture through my article. Have a good look my article!

1. About my city!

   I live in Morioka, which is North of Japan. My city is kind of country side, so I can feel relaxing and appreciation for time. I enjoy various outdoor activities in different season. On winter season, I usually go to skiing with my friends. I just went to Appi which is famous place for skiing in my city. If someone want to enjoy winter sports, I definitely recommend to go there. On spring, people enjoy Hanami which is picnic under cherry blossom trees. We called the customer Hanami. There are also local foods, music and a lot of events.

2. My college life!

   I will mention that differences in a college between Japan and Canada:Term, place to stay, a part time job and spending time on weekends.
  It is student’s choice whether going to college in a same city which they grow up or going to another cities. I think it’s different the term of courses in Japan compare to Canada. For example, in Japan, university students must graduate their university for 4 years. On the other hand, in Canada, If students try hard to take a lot of courses, they can graduate for 3 years. Another example, It is not common that students live in a dormitory. It’s common that most students live in an apartment instead of living in a dormitory.
  It’s also common that college students have a part time job. I worked as a tutor in a private school. Just remember that in Japan, we don’t pay tips because we don’t have that culture. So even people work in a restaurant they don’t get tips because it’s already including in salary.
  In generally, students join some of club activities for making new friends or trying new things. On weekends, some students spend time for their club activities such as sports or music etc… or they work as a part time job to earn money. In my case, I don’t have a part time job and I’m not a member of some clubs, so I spend time for fun. For example, going shopping, chatting with my friends at a café, kayaking and driving.

 
3. My hobby!

  I like work out and outdoor activities such as kayaking. As I mention about work out, in Japan, going to gym is not as popular as in Canada. I guess it’s just because the image of fancy for women is different. For example, Canadian people consider that healthy and strong women is sexy; however, in Japan, people consider that very thin women is sexy. Of course, it’s depends on people’s opinion.  


Question: Is it difficult to live in Japan, and make friends?

   For me it’s not difficult to live in Japan because it is very safety and peaceful country and people are very kind. However, I am going to tell another points about the image of Japan: Japanese people, making friends as a college students.
  First, I think Japanese people are characterized politeness and shyness. If people from different countries come to Japan, they might think that Japanese people are so shy and serious. Also, it’s hard to judge Japanese people’s mind because we don’t really show our emotions (I mean Japanese people don’t use a lot of body languages compare to other countries such as Canada and Brazil, and I think Japan is high context culture).
   As I am Japanese, I can say that Japanese people are just shy, and it doesn’t mean that they are not friendly or cold people. They are very kind after getting know each other.

So for now, the question is how can foreigner students make Japanese friends in Japan?

First, Join a club!

   In a college, there are some communities or some club activities to make friends between international students and Japanese students.

Second, go to Izakaya!!

   Izakaya means a pub in Japan. I am pretty sure that Japanese people love drinking. I can tell that going Izakaya with your friends is faster way to get close with your friends and also making new friends.(not only in Japanese thought)

 

Okay, the Next question...

What is difficult to learn Japanese?

   I have no idea about this answer because I’m native speaker, so I asked my international friend from Russia. She said that it’s hard to remember Japanese words because they have three characters which are Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji. In addition, Japanese has Keigo and Sonkeigo which are used in a polite way for respecting old people.
I think learning other languages is not easy, but at the same time, it is so much fun to learn other cultures through learning languages and  communicate people from different countries by using your skills which you learned.


Conclusion!

I recommend to visit Japan if you are interested. You can find it very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment